Monday, September 19, 2016

Pros and Cons of Microsoft and Google

Image result for microsoft office
        The Pros of Microsoft Word and PowerPoint was that they are both easy to navigate. I am more familiar with these. However over the past year or two I have been using Google Docs and Slides a little more for school. I found that the Microsoft programs it was easier for me to edit and format my pictures. In the Google programs I struggled to do so. A con for the Microsoft Programs is that it does kind of limit you on what sound you can put into your work, 
         The pros of Google Docs and Slides was that it saved while you were working. I really liked this feature just because it reassured me that my work was being saved if something were to happen. I also like all the options that Google has but they aren't always easy to find. Another pro is that it's easy to share things with others. It would be easy for my students to share assignments with Google easier than Microsoft would. One of the cons is how the toolbar at the top is hard to navigate. There were certain things from the assignments this week I couldn't find. 
         The only problem I ran into was that on Google Docs and Slides I couldn't find Smart Art and how to put sound in to my slides. Overall I struggled to navigate and work the Google programs because of how unfamiliar I am with them. 
          I would prefer to use Microsoft Word and PowerPoint over Google because I have been using it for years and know where a lot of the stuff is at on there and it is very easy to navigate. I feel like it would make more sense to use Google with my students just because of how easy it is for them to share the assignments. Also they won't have to worry about losing their work if they accidentally do something because it saves as they go. 
Image result for google drive vs microsoft office

3 comments:

  1. Rachel,
    I agree with you when you brought up the point about how important it is that Google automatically saves projects. In this world where we type and type and type without thinking about saving, it is easy to lose such valuable work. Our brains are so focused on the task at hand that we do not take the time to remember to hit the save button. That is what I also love about Google, it allows us to forget about one thing so we can give our undivided attention to the task. Great post!
    Taylor Reed

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although I really like google docs I do not mind using Microsoft because it to is easy to navigate and I used to be familiar with it before google docs. I also struggled to work through the google programs which is why I prefer Powerpoint but I also prefer google docs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think bringing up the point of it contunuously saving your work is smart. It makes me feel better knowing that should something bad happen it's saved somewhere I can easily get it back. Although Microsoft does have the autorecovery feature, it is not as foolproof and can sometimes lose certain works. I think you posed some very good points about google and microsoft.

    ReplyDelete